Monday 24 September 2012

The Story So Far...

As mentioned in my previous entry, Ginger Sky has been in my thoughts for almost a year so I thought I'd give a bit of a background as to what I've done so far. Think of it as a "Previously, on Ginger Sky" part of the blog.

After I had decided I wanted to run a fun and quirky kitchenware retailer my first hurdle was deciding how I was going to run it, did I want bricks and mortar or a virtual store? Originally my intention was to run a bricks and mortar store from Hessle. I'd even picked out the unit I wanted to rent and had designed the front of the store and everything, unfortunately due to funds falling through I had to abandon the idea. I now had to rely on my own funds and as such could no longer afford a rented unit, so it was decided for me, I was to become an online retailer.

Over the past 6 months or so I've put in a lot of hours researching, some of it fun, some of it not so much. Fortunately I have some good friends who have helped me along the way, especially with the tedious bits, and have kept me heading in the right direction. The best part of this period has been sourcing products, I have always loved looking through catalogues, now I could do it as part of my business. The worst parts have been trawling through business insurance providers, accountants, all the boring but necessary bits.

I made up my mind about which products I wanted to launch with, however suppliers had other ideas in mind. I was stuck in a bit of a catch 22, my web designer wanted products to build the website and suppliers wanted a website to be able to commit their products. This has meant some of the products I wanted to launch with have had to be put on the back burner. Fortunately I have managed to persuade some of the suppliers to set me up an account and the first stock should be getting ordered this week. Which leads onto the next hurdle.... storage.

This one has been a bit of an issue as my aim has been to keep costs down but not having my own property means I need a site somewhere in Hessle/Hull that I can store my stock in. I have researched quite a few of these but so far have not come to a decision, although with stock coming in soon I'm going to need to move on this soon.

So, the situation as it stands right now is that I'm prepared (I hope) and everything is now falling into place. There are still a few hurdles to get over before Ginger Sky is ready for trading but these should be sorted soon. If everything goes to plan for the next few weeks or so then I am expecting to be able to launch the site in early November, just in time for Christmas.

Thanks for reading my first couple of entries, from here on in we'll try and have a bit of fun along the journey and less of the boring narrative of these first two entries. This will start with the first of our delicious recipes which will be up in the next couple of days, so please stick around.

No comments:

Post a Comment