Monday 12 November 2012

GEW: Monday

My first lot of stock is in the UK! Okay, so it has to make its way from the East Midlands to Hull, but it is in the country. I’ve ordered from Molecule-R, which is based in Canada, and as this is my first import it is taking time to complete the paperwork and red tape for HMRC. It is now only a matter of hours before I get my hands on the first set of amazing products.

Ginger Sky Ltd
The Siphon R-Evolution Kit by Molecule-R
While I’m waiting for this to be delivered I have been working on developing some of my own ideas. My vision for Ginger Sky is to stock the most unique quirky products currently on the market along with some of my own designs. With that in mind I have been fine-tuning my blueprint for the first of my ideas and have been looking for companies who can help me produce a prototype – if you have any ideas or know about who/what I can make use of to help me produce some products using plastics please let me know via the comments section.

I am still looking to keep costs down at this stage of the journey and so have been pricing the various options that I have found. A good tip to any of you looking for resources close by is to try the local university. They are easy to overlook when searching but they are full of innovate and creative minds and can be a smorgasbord of resources and equipment. @HullUniversity

Before I finish this blog for the evening I would like to take this opportunity to thank some people who have been invaluable during this process. Although I have undertaken this project as the sole company director I have lots of support from family and friends, people around who are comfortable enough to tell me if they think my ideas can be better (not always constructively!) so thank you everyone – you know who you are!

It has been a great help having people around who are comfortable enough to question my ideas, or who are prepared to suggest things that contradict my own vision. While I ensure the company is going in the direction I want it to, it does really help me ask myself the often difficult questions, or prompt me to do that extra bit of research before heading down a particular road – I would really urge any of you thinking about starting a business to get as much feedback as possible from friends and family.

Sometimes it is easy to get carried away with an idea that you are convinced will work, however just because you like it does not mean all of your friends and peers will. Make sure you ask the questions and focus in on your target market, doing your research and getting trustworthy feedback.

If you want to share your experiences or have any questions for me please use the comments section below and I will get back to you or share your thoughts on the blog.
Thank you for reading, enjoy Global Entrepreneur Week J

No comments:

Post a Comment