Monday 12 November 2012

GEW: A Week in the Life of a Startup Entrepreneur


Welcome to my blog for those of you reading this for Global Entrepreneurship Week. I thought I’d use this blog entry to give you a bit of background and a bit about why I’m doing this. 
Ginger Sky Ltd

First of all, I’m currently in the process of setting up my own retail business called Ginger Sky Ltd. This business is focussing on kitchenware, particularly the fun, quirky and unique (if you have any ideas for things you would like me to sell/things you may have struggled to buy elsewhere, please let me know via the comments section). The official launch of Ginger Sky is set for Easter 2013 so I’m spending the next couple of months getting everything ready, adding the finishing touches to the website and finding out all about my products. For more background into me and Ginger Sky check out earlier blog entries and the About Me page.

So why get involved with GEW? I’ve always been a great believer in sharing, sharing knowledge, sharing experiences and sharing skills. Learning from your own experiences is great but if you can learn from others as well it adds that extra edge to help you succeed. Because of this I am looking to give back and share with everyone and anyone who wants to read and ask questions about my experience. I’m not professing to be an expert on the subject of setting up your own business, but I also think that by still being in the middle of this process I can offer a unique perspective to any budding entrepreneurs out there.

Over the coming week I will be posting a mini diary into the day-to-day activities of setting up Ginger Sky, there will be at least one entry a day and I will be tweeting (@GingerSkyLtd) each time an entry goes up. I’ll also re-visit some of the events over the last year, when I first started research into setting up my own company. If you’re starting your own business it can be confusing and can feel at times like you have so much to do and learn, but it can be a fun and enjoyable experience too. Hopefully this week can help show those who are going through it or those that are thinking of it that these sorts of things are part of the learning process.
I am also available to answer any questions you may have or to be a conduit for you share your own experiences via this blog. With that in mind please feel free to utilise the comments section of the post to leave your questions and I will respond as soon as I can with my thoughts. Also, to add a different perspective, I have conducted an interview with another local businesswoman who has already started trading and is in the growing phase of her business. So watch out towards the end of the week for this great piece and great insight from our friends at Owl and Pussycat Creative  (@oandp_creative)

I hope you all stick around for the week and find it useful, especially those thinking of starting their own company.

No comments:

Post a Comment